Sunday 4 October 2009

Chutney!

I made my first real chutney today! After the practise run last week with the rhubarb relish, which went down well, and passed the taste test, I went to the Farmer's Market in Leeds this morning and bought a bag full of organic veg and got cooking.

I used the recipe from River Cottage Handbook No 2: Preserves, called Hearty Ale Chutney, which is FULL of very delicious things, including swede, carrots, cauliflower, apples, onions, dates, beer (organic dandelion ale!)and various spices. I found a fantastic stall at the market which sold produce from a local organic farm and 80% of the ingredients were organic..... prompting me to label the end product as 'Jo's Organic Ale Chutney'! I made about 6 jars but I won't be opening any until mid-November, by which time the flavours should have infused properly and it should be tasting fantastic.

I have to particularly mention the bunch of organic carrots we bought which were 'Rainbow Carrots', which I have never seen before. They were orange, yellow and pink and were amazing... very tasty too!

I have plans to make Onion Marmalade, Christmas Mincemeat, and Pickled Onions in the next 2-3 weeks. I think this preserving business might be a little addictive?

No comments:

Post a Comment